Why go tandem?
Amateur a normal, with a bicycle rider is very rewarding experience, but in tandem bicycle adds a new dimension to cycling. Various tandemists choose long bike for different reasons:
• A tandem allows two hours cyclists of different forces and the ability to rides together, pleausurably. Short rider need not wait for a slow, a slower rider does not have to fight to try to lead to more rapid rider.
• A tandem becomes essentially lonely, individualistic activity of cycling in the mutual experience that can be shared by several.
• A tandem allows people with disabilities who can not ride a bicycle otherwise share in the joy of cycling.
• A tandem may allow parents to share cycling at the adult level of speed and distance a child.
• A tandem is the ideal Rush for cyclists who enjoy the feeling of high speed cycling.
Whatever the reason for choosing (or considering) a tandem, this article will try to cover some of the things that everyone tandemist must learn.
There is good deal of equipment needed to get the most out of riding tandem. While anyone can ride a bicycle can operate in tandem, there are some tricks and trap you should know.
The front rider is commonly known as “Captain.” Other names for the front rider include “pilot and navigator.”
He must be an experienced cyclist, with good bike handling skills and good decision. In the case of a top team, A, the captain will have to use a slightly higher mechanical strength than is necessary for a bicycle. As the team learns to work together, it will become less important.
The master has two main responsibilities:
• To control the bike, including balancing whether stopped or moving, and steering wheel, reassignment, brake.
• To keep the stoker happy! A tandem is not in tandem with no heater. He must win the trust of the heater, must stop, stoker when asked to stop, should be delayed when fireman wants to reduce.
Since the heater can not directly see the way forward, he has special responsibility for warning of bumps in the road, so it can clamp heater for them.
When a couple fails to make this a tandem team, he is almost always due either to a fireman afraid that as a result of incompetent / inconsiderate captain, or due to saddle soreness.
The master must also warn the fireman shift, especially the transition to a smaller device, which may cause the heater to lose balance if they come without warning. (Many experienced teams finally past the need to call many shifts as they learn each other styles.)
The rear rider is known as “fireman”. Other names for the rear rider include “Navigator”, “tailgunner” and “rear” or “GA” The rear rider is not “passenger”, but is equal participant. In heater has two main responsibilities:
• In stoker serves mainly as a driver. Since the heater is not required to control the bike, the rider must be able to actually generate more energy than the same rider would on a single wheel. Depending on the strength and hardness of the heater, it may take the form of permanent power or can be held in reserve. If a fireman acting as the reserve, it is OK to not worry about total reach cruising, as long as the heater can help with the burst of power for the climbs. From the start of the tandem is a bit trickier, than one of heater should be applied so smooth power, possble at the start to take the wheel base to speed quickly.
• In other major responsibility heater is negative one: for heater should not try to steer! Unpredictable weight of the part of the heater may make the master work much harder and could lead to accidents, in extreme cases. In heater to keep in line with the centerline of the bicycle, and shelter him as leans through corners. When heater should shift the position of the saddle or correct a toe strap, or take a drink, it is vital that they do so without violating the balance of the bicycle. These activities should not try at all until the master deal with complex traffic situations or narrow spaces.
In heater You can also do a little back rubbing now and then and photograhs, promoting singing songs, reading maps, etc.
The team becomes greater than the sum of its parts. Experienced tandem team developed a very special level of non-verbal communication through subtle weight shifts tread deviations in force and total commitment.
After some one hundred miles together, you’ll find yourself coasting at the same time without the need to discuss change, and base smoothly even in slow speed.
This is not just a matter of each rider acquisition captaining / stoking skills; When two equally skilled teams switch stokers, something is lost and this special communication does not happen … it really is unique to each couple.
Since tandem framework must fit riders two hours, the chances of finding one that will fit perfectly both riders are much lower than is the case with a solo bicycle.
In general, it is preferable for larger rider to be in front, especially for unexperienced team, but in no means ironclad rule.
When it is necessary to compromise on installation, it is better to make sure that the wheel correspond to the master. In particular, the front frame should not be too large for the master to be able to straddle a good crotch clearance. As captain you have to be spreading his or her feet forward along with normal to balance the extra weight as a fireman stoker mounts, closure must be greater than is necessary on a single. On the other hand, if the front frame is a small country, A-high / already handlebar stem usually can do for him.
In the case of heater, it is not actually necessary to be able to straddle the frame as it is one. Thus frame size normally considered “too big” a perfectly may be prudent for the heater, if appropriate handlebar stem is used to give a good position.
In general, but slightly higher handlebar position is advisable for tandemmists, not primarily for its speed. In the case of captain, a higher bar helps reduce upper body fatigue associated with the processing of more serious bike. In the case of a fireman, A somewhat more upright position to better view, and there is less than aerodynamic penalty for a fireman standing position of the tandem.
For the first time heads should not try riding a heater while they pursued solo riding tandem to get used to the general feel of the wheel.
A good starting technique is vital in tandem. You will be able to rides in a straight line as slow as fast as one can, at least not until they are very, very tandem miles behind. It is important to learn to adapt to this situation quickly. Since the tandem was so severe he could not accellerate quickly without cooperation and coordination of the two riders.
Many single bike riders out poor starting technique, but you have much less margin for error in tandem.
Correct basic technique starts with one or tandem:
1. Stand astride the frame, both feet on the ground.
2. Rotation of the pedals, so gay in less skillful leg is 45 degrees forward right up.
3. Put your foot in a pedal, then press down hard. This will simultaneously:
o Use pedal as a step to lift just high enough to be on the saddle … and:
O Implementation of the driving force of the chain, causing a motorcycle to pick up speed.
If you have not learned to do that, with time, practice solo before attempt to captain a tandem.
Common improper techniques include:
• In Cowboy Mountain, which includes standing near the wheel as one hour of foot tread, then fashion on the next leg cradle while the wheel is in motion. Try it in tandem and you sritam heater in the head!
• Shuffle on the hill, which includes stays low pedal, trying to get the wheel in motion by pushing against the ground with the other leg … you can not get in tandem to speed base that way!
Create a tandem
1. Stand astride the frame, both feet on earth right tandem.
2. Spread your feet apart and snap the upper pipe tandem against one leg for more stability. Feet must be sufficiently far apart that the heater can rotate the pedals without banging in the shins.
3. Lock the brakes, in tandem will not roll away as a stoker mounts.
Heater: While keeping your weight centered on the bike as you can:
4. Take gay closer to the bottom position to use it as a step.
5. Lift himself into saddle, place your other foot pedal.
6. To enhance video tapes or anything else you need to do to get ready for gay.
7. Rotation of the pedals to the starting position preferred by the master.
8. Let Captain knew they were ready to go.
Captain: Put your foot in a pedal, then press down hard. This will simultaneously:
o Use pedal as a step to lift the only high enough to be on the saddle … and:
O Implementation of the driving force of the chain, causing a motorcycle to pick up speed.
Coast not to try to clip or click in tandem while it is well to the speed he is difficult to balance at low speed without trying to find a stubborn toeclip at the same time.
Fireman: Give everything you need to get the bike up to speed quickly.
Once the bike is in the base rate, the captain you may need to shore, in order to undercut, so be ready.
This may seem complicated, but with a little practice it becomes second nature. This technique will provide safe, quick starts smoothly.
Stopping technique is well on the back of the start, but there are a few things to watch for:
Remember, you have to balance both bike and heater, a heater dismounts. The most common errors are:
• renting tandem lean too far to the side so that it can not withstand the weight of the heater.
• Not having enough feet away, but to support the heater.
• Not unclipping your second leg soon enough, and toppling over to that country.
Keep your weight centered in accordance with the tandem of the frame. An unexpected move comes while tandem to stop and the head of the legs are well braced on the ground can dump you!
Typically, they should not take the legs from the pedals to the head says to do so (although this is not hard-and-fast rule, sometimes signal heater to save captain of bacon, one leg at the right time!)
Typical tandem team will include a rider who is very experienced, fairly obstinate cyclist, and another who is more experienced and more skillful. Let’s couple named Chris and pat. Pat is obstinate cyclist, Chris was much more daily cyclist if cyclist of all, but I would like to share experiences tandemming together. Since their riding style and conditioning level is different, there must be some give and take.
One key problem areas tbe likely to be “modulation”, which means that the question of how quickly to turn the pedals. Patent, the more experienced cyclists will probably be captain, Pat will get to meeting the beat, setting devices to be used at any given time. Since Pat is an experienced cyclist, Pat would probably prefer a pretty quick rhythm. Pretty quick rhythm known to be more effective and less harmful to your knees.
Unfortunately, Chris can not be used for spinning so fast. Chris feet can not lead with Pat preferences spin. This will cause significant discomfort for Chris.
It is the responsibility of the patent and make Chris happy and comfortable so that Pat should consider Chris preferences in selecting transmissions. Chris, in turn, must understand that it is worthwhile to learn to turn pretty quickly, because it really is the better technique.
With practice and patience, most couples can work on this standard in tandem. For those who can not define technology.
In addition to the rhythm issues, A tandem team must deal with the problem coasting. Standard in tandem, both riders must pedal, or both should coast. If someone wants to shore, while others want to ride a bicycle, this is not an option unless you have an exotic tandem.
As a general rule, more experienced cyclists Coast much more often than experienced cyclists. Beginning in May coast for fear of high speeds, quick rhythm discomfort, fatigue, or simply habit. More experienced cylcists learned that it is better to move your feet even when not apply much power to the pedals as he supports rider to keep pace and the legs of pristyagashti be.
One of the main areas where quasi-mystical happens between team members in tandem, which is ridden with many is that coasting matter gradually disappears, and you’ll find yourself pedaling and coasting renewed without being told anything or clear signals of their adoption.
Typically, coasting issue will be decided primarily by a more experienced cyclists acquire more experience and breach of habit of excessive coasting.
Sometimes compromise on speed or affiliation elections may help eliminate conflicts coasting. As the desire for beginners coast often activated by fear of excessive speed, slowing down will help. If a rider is coasting too much tact, becomes uncomfortable for higher switching to a higher gear may eliminate this problem.
One of the more advanced skills of tandeming stands and pumping “or” honking “for extra burst of power. This is not something to try until you have gone past beginner stage as a tandem team. Permanent smoothly requires that both riders coordinate their movements with one another. In particular, to avoid drastic heater sideward movements (always good practice, though.) Some motorcycle riders throw sharply from side to side by pressing a pedal on the first, then the other, others have a smooth As a guest centered on the wheel, even when out of the saddle.
Most single bike rider stands very much, very very good riders almost never do so. Riders who stay often do so either because they have their saddles set too low or because they are in very high speed.
Most tandemists found standing together cranks-easy, if created in phase.
Why go tandem?